Sullivan’s Island has played an important part in Charleston’s history since the first English settlers arrived in the late 17th century. The island is named after Florence O’Sullivan. He served as a captain on one of the first ships to arrive in the area. Captain O’Sullivan was appointed to the island in 1674 in order to take charge of a signal cannon that, when fired, would warn those in Charles Town of ships coming into the harbor.
From 1707 to 1799, any ships coming into Charleston that held passengers or crew members suffering from illness would first be quarantined on Sullivan’s Island in order to prevent the spread of deadly diseases like smallpox and cholera. The sick would be quarantined either onboard ship or in “pest houses,” often for a period of at least ten days.
Sullivans Island Living:
One of Charleston's three barrier islands, Sullivans Island is one of the most sought after beach towns in the
country. The area is well known for its seashells, especially the sand dollars that wash up along the shoreline on a regular basis.
The island has an eclectic collection of art galleries and gift shops and a restaurant district. The restaurant district is small but has great barbecue, pubs and fine dining.
The island, only 3.3 square miles, with little commercialization has a big reputation as a family friendly